Privacy Statement and Policy
AIHFE will comply with the ten national privacy principles in the handling of personal
information of students.
1. Collection – The AIHFE will collect only the information necessary for one or more of its functions. The student will be told the purposes for which the information is collected.
2. Use and disclosure – Personal information will not be used or disclosed for a secondary purpose unless the student has consented or a prescribed exception applies.
3. Data quality – The AIHFE will take all reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information it collects uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up to date.
4. Data Security – The AIHFE will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal
information it holds from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
5. Openness – The AIHFE will document how they manage personal information and when asked by the student, will explain the information it holds, for what purpose and how it collects, holds, uses and discloses the information.
6. Access and correction – The student will be given access to the information held except to the extent that prescribed exceptions apply. The AIHFE will correct and update information errors described by the student.
7. Unique Identifiers – Commonwealth Government identifiers (eg Medicare number or tax file number) will only be used for the purposes for which they were issued. The AIHFE will not assign unique identifiers except where it is necessary to carry out its functions efficiently.
8. Anonymity – Wherever possible, The AIHFE will provide the opportunity for the student to interact with them without identifying themselves.
9. Transborder Data Flows – The student’s privacy protections apply to the transfer of
personal information out of Australia.
10. . Sensitive Information – The AIHFE will seek the consent of the student when collectingsensitive information about the student such as health information, or information about the student’s racial or ethnic background, or criminal record.
Under the Data Provision Requirements 2012, Australian Institute of Higher and Further Education (AIHFE) is required to collect personal information about you and to disclose that personal information to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd (NCVER).
Your personal information (including the personal information contained on your enrolment form), may be used or disclosed by Australian Institute of Higher and
Further Education for statistical, administrative, regulatory and research purposes. AIHFE may disclose your personal information for these purposes to:
- Commonwealth and State or Territory government departments and authorised agencies; and
Personal information that has been disclosed to NCVER may be used or disclosed by NCVER for the following purposes:
- populating authenticated VET transcripts;
- facilitating statistics and research relating to education, including surveys and data linkage;
- pre-populating RTO student enrolment forms;
- understanding how the VET market operates, for policy, workforce planning and consumer information; and
- administering VET, including program administration, regulation, monitoring and evaluation
You may receive a student survey which may be administered by a government department or NCVER employee, agent or third-party contractor or other authorised agencies. Please note you may opt out of the survey at the time of being contacted.
NCVER will collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), the National VET Data Policy and all NCVER policies and protocols (including those published on NCVER’s website at www.ncver.edu.au).